Monday, February 8, 2010

Influences

A person who has influenced me is my brother. If not for him, I would not be the person I am today. Growing up with him, I believe, has shaped the type of person that I am, which is kind-hearted and responsible. Because he is mentally disabled, I had to mature a little faster than normal children. I had to understand that my brother is different. I would not change a thing because he has influenced me to love everyone equally and to show no prejudice or discrimination towards any one human being because we are all special and deserve happiness and love.

There are many things that have influenced me throughout my life; my family and friends have always been in my life and affect the decisions I make on situations. They affect my opinions and views about the world. But the most important thing that has influenced me to be the type of student and worker that I am is the feeling of proudness that I give my loved ones, especially my parents. It makes me feel good to make them feel good about me. This feeling gives me encouragement along with determination. My parents have given me this strength to be the best that I can be, and I try not to let them down.

This influence hasn't changed since high school, but I do see it less than normal because I live in the dorms and don't see my parents everyday. They tell me that I am doing a good job every once in awhile but I do feel I am more dependent on my own determination and less on there encouragement and acceptance than I use to be. I enjoy the independence but at the same time I miss the attention. I think it's helping me grow as a person though. I know they can't always be there to give me a pat on the back. But I do know I have their full support and it does influence me to continue with my college education and to not give up no matter how discouraged I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment